Wednesday, June 24, 2009

If Apple invented it, it would be called iRony

This morning one of our tech guys was in my office. We were discussing the social networking phenomenon and the sometimes tricky divisions between the personal and professional with regards to online persona. The we talked about how resourceful people - and search engines - have become these days, and how all sorts of seemingly personal data can be pulled out of the ether and into the real world.

A few minutes later, I got a call from my bank telling me there had been some suspicious activity on my online account. It seems someone had cracked my account and was browsing through my transaction history. Luckily they seem to have caught it before any serious damage was done. My account has been frozen and a new one opened, and my extremely humble balance is still intact. But the sense of violation remains, and doubts about what else they may have accessed will linger for a while.

As much as I love the online world, every once in a while something like this happens that makes me want to go back to the stone age, back when we used phones with cords, when we actually went to the bank, and when wireless meant radio.

Then again, I'm blogging these thoughts, so...

No comments:

Post a Comment